Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Eastern Conference Predictions!

Well it's finally here! Playoff time! A clean slate! A new season! Eric Boulton is equal on the point race with Ilya Kovalchuk! (in the words of the great James Hetfield "Sad but true") And there is NO reason why we should be stuffed in the afterburner of the playoff schedule as we are. Everyone will be pumped up tonight and even tomorrow. But we don't start until Friday. Why?

Well, here are my predictions on who will win what in the very first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs in the Eastern Conference. Why the East only? Because who on here really cares who wins between the Sharks and the Blues?... Oh you do?... OK, well maybe I'll do the West later on today.

First, my Conn Smyth prediction? Cam Janssen! Now, that we got that out of the way let's move on!

#1 New York Dirtrags err I mean Rangers VS. #8 Ottawa Senators:
They always say don't ever base a playoff prediction on the season match up, but in this case I gotta go with that. The Sens went 3-1 against NY. So I think the Sens will give the Rangers a dogfight. But this one will go to NY in 6. I don't see the Sens taking out the best team in the East. (as much as I'd love them to). My main reasoning behind this has got to be Henrik Lunqvist. He has stepped it up bigger than ever this year and has made the Rangers a legit Cup threat for the first time since 1997.



Game 1 in NY: Rangers win
Game 2 in NY: Rangers win
Game 3 in OTT: Senators win
Game 4 in OTT: Rangers win
Game 5 in NY: Senators win
Game 6 in OTT: Rangers win

Final Verdict: The Senators get assassinated


#2 Boston Bruins VS. #7 Washington Capitals:
This series works out the same way as the other one whereas the lower seed had a 3-1 record vs the higher seed. However where I saw the higher winning the first one, I see Washington actually taking this series. Boston hasn't played it's best hockey of late, going 12-10 in their last 22 games. Two of those losses came against the Caps. I see the Capitals winning this series in 5. Yes, only 5!

Game 1 in BOS: Capitals win
Game 2 in BOS: Capitals win
Game 3 in WSH: Capitals win
Game 4 in WSH: Bruins win
Game 5 in BOS: Capitals win

Final Verdict: Ovechkin goes hunting and comes home with a bear head on his wall


#3 Florida Panthers VS. #6 New Jersey Devils:
Ah yes, the series match up we wanted. Or so you'd think. Florida has been a slight thorn in our devil horns all year. We split the season series 2-2. The Cats won the 1st and 4th games while we won the middle two. However I like so many others I don't see NJ losing this series. But like I've said so many times before. Don't underestimate a team in the playoffs. If you do, it will bite you in the behind. I.E. 2009 against the Hurricanes. But truthfully, I see a 4 or 5 game win for NJ, and I'm going to go with 5. Theodore and Clemmer will split the series. Clemmensen, who has played well against the Devils, will get the Cats only win of the series in game 2 after a devastating game 1 for Jose Theodore.

Game 1 in FLA: Devils win
Game 2 in FLA: Panthers win
Game 3 in NJ: Devils win
Game 4 in NJ: Devils win
Game 5 in FLA: Devils win

Final Verdict: The Kitties get euthanized in 5


#4 Pittsburgh Penguins VS. #5 Philadelphia Flyers:
This is the interesting one. That brawl last week has sparked a civil war in the Keystone
state. The league is finally taking media notice of the Penguins whining with comments by multiple people including a $20k fining statement by John Tortorella. In terms of the series, I see this one falling into a back and forth battle. Claude Giroux will be the defining factor for Philly, as goaltending has been a problem in Philly for many years. I think Pittsburgh will take this in 7. Both teams will win their respective home games in this one I feel. I also say at least 3 or 4 of these games goes into OT.

Game 1 in PIT: Penguins win
Game 2 in PIT: Penguins win
Game 3 in PHI: Flyers win
Game 4 in PHI: Flyers win
Game 5 in PIT: Penguins win
Game 6 in PHI: Flyers win
Game 7 in PIT: Penguins win

Final Verdict: The Flyers get their wings clipped

No comments:

Post a Comment