Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Sorry about the wait, folks!

Ok, sorry guys.  It's been forever since I have posted.  Main reason? Been busy with other things: vacations, parties, weddings, ect.  Well, I want to give my 5 cents on the last two series matchups for the Devils.  First let's start with the Rangers.  I promise I won't go too deep into it since it's old news.  But how sweet was it to have a little bit of retribution for '94?  I thought it felt pretty damn good.  The series itself was awesome.  Every game was played like a game 7.  New Jersey was flat out the better team game in and game out even in the games they lost.  Lundqvist won those games for them.

Now, on to LA.  This series went like this:
"Crap! eh, that sucks.  But we'll get em next game." to
"Are you serious!? AGAIN IN OVERTIME!?" to
"Oh my God this game 3 is pathetic! I cannot believe they are about to be swept!" to
"Well our sweepless streak stays alive.  But I'm forced to watch another game of this garbage!" to
"Uhhh, can we actually do this?" to
"Well that was fun while it lasted!"

Now, everyone has something to say about the hit by Bernier.  Well, it was a dirty hit yes.  But it shouldn't have even happened.  We all know why.  We all know what happened a few seconds prior to the hit.  It's a story that's been beaten to death with "what if"s.  "What if that penalty had been called on Stoll?"  "What if the Devils had scored on that power play?"  You can argue the "what if"s all day long (trust me, I have) but it still doesn't change the fact that it was called the way it was called and the game went the way it went.  The penalty deflated us in that game.  Our PK which was record breaking in the regular season was a disaster in the playoffs.  Regardless of the 5 minute major, 3 goals on a major PP is just pathetic.  The most lopsided Stanley Cup decider in 21 years since Pittsburgh tore through the North Stars.

Now on to business about the offseason: Marty, Zach, Draft, UFA, CBA, and financial trouble.  Phew, where the hell do I begin?

Martin Brodeur: If he comes back for another year it will be very interesting to see how long and how much.  He has openly stated he understands New Jersey's first priority is signing Parise to a long-term deal.  I feel that Marty can be a fantastic mentor for Frazee or Kinkaid this upcoming season if he decides to resign with us.  So yes, I will answer that question right now: Moose will not return to NJ next year.  In my opinion of course.  We'll miss him though.

Zach Parise: This is the story that's eating at our brains for the past calendar year.  How are we going to afford such a superstar player on our budget?  Well, here's 3 main reasons he will get signed by NJ within the next 10 days.
1. We have the money to do it.  Yes, our team is in financial turmoil.  But our cap space is high.
2. It's Lou Lamoriello we are talking about.  The best GM in the East if not the entire NHL.  He'll get it done!
and 3. He WANTS to stay.

Draft: Remember when I said Lou is the best GM in the NHL? (If you don't remember, well, you might want to get that checked out) Well, this is an instance where I look at this and say "what the hell were you thinking Lou?"  We need to sacrifice a first round pick next year no matter what now.  Instead of just sacrificing the 29th pick this year!!!  Makes no sense to me!

Free Agents: We have a bunch we need to sign, not just Parise.  Salvador is the big one other than Zach.  Like I said we have some cap space to play with.  As far as signing UFA other than our boys, I don;t see any major one happening.  Devils might make a fight for Suter but it won't come through.  In fact I think the Predators will keep a hold on him.

CBA: I have no comment.  Don't screw me out of another season.  That is all.  Goodbye!

Financial difficulties: Ok, we are a young franchise.  We really are.  We come in with a dynasty in full swing.  A team coming off it's glory years in Philly.  And the Rangers have already established themselves as a historic team with 3 Cups.  So of course some people will be reluctant to embrace a new team right smack dab in the middle of all of that.  It's a shame though.  Gary Bettman has said he will take control of the team if Jeff Vanderbeek wished.  This will allow the Devils to stay intact until they found a new owner.  That new owner can....... gulp... move the team anywhere he/she wants.  (Which won't happen but that is the worst case scenario).

So, that was my longest post haha.  But I was so far behind I needed to get this stuff out.  More to come with signings and whatnot.


No comments:

Post a Comment