Wednesday, July 11, 2012

C IS FOR CAPTAIN, THAT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!

Last year around this time I posted who I thought would wear the C that upcoming season.  I said it would be Parise and I was correct.  Now that Zach has gone home to eat his Mommy's chicken nuggets and play with his Shrek coloring book (if you don't get the reference go back to my earlier posts) it is time to "part the Red C" once again.

Let's take a look at the candidates.

#17 Ilya Valerevich Kovalchuk- The probable winner of the sweepstakes.  He is the most willing to lead the team into battle.  He is also not afraid to throw his weight around.  Schenn learned that the hard way last season when he got Tyson-style KOed by Kovy.  It will be also kind of nice to have a captain who will be sticking around for a while.  13 more years to be exact.  He won't be as impactful a captain as Scotty was, but most likely will still lead the team to at least one Stanley Cup in our future.

#26 Patrik Elias- He won't get it for one reason.  He doesn't want it.  He had it for a while during that awkward Niedermayer/Stevens concussion/lockout time period.  He says he doesn't like to be the star attraction.  Very humble if ya ask me, but he would make a great fit.  He is one of our franchise players and holds just about every Devils record that does not involve a goaltender.

#24 Bryce Salvador- I'm going to get one thing abundantly clear.  I HATED this man.  Note the past tense.  I am now eating my words as he is one of my favorite players on our roster.  A player who seemed like a stay-at-home defenseman, he all of a sudden drank the Niedermayer kool-aid in the playoffs.  He scored key goals and help lead the team right into the Stanley Cup Finals.  He will most likely get an A on his chest but no C.

#30 Martin Brodeur- I know it's considered taboo to make a goalie captain.  But Vancouver did it. Why not us?  But will it? No.  But it is kinda nice to think about.  He is the backbone of the franchise and if you say the words "New Jersey Devils" he is the face you picture in your mind whether you know about hockey or not.  He has become synonymous with winning and is our team leader, however he won't be wearing a C anytime soon.

Honestly, that's about it.  I can't really picture any other Devil being the captain other than Kovalchuk or Elias.  It was a shame to lose Zach but we can now have a captain who will actually do something with the captaincy rather than just get it for a year then turn your back on it.

I know the humor was lacking in this post, but we gotta be serious sometimes right?... right? Oh, that's boring? Oh ok! Won't happen again!

No comments:

Post a Comment